Monday, December 04, 2006

The Storm

What Ho Proles!

Worry no more, patient readers: the storms are at an end and all at Murgatroid Hall are safe and well. I know how restless you’ve all been, sleeping uneasily after you lost regular contact with those of us at the business end of this anti-cyclone but I can assure you that it was no picnic for us, either, so you can save me your back luck tales. Oh, there were a few moments when I thought we’d lost a tile or two, and for a fraction of second during the night I did believe the West Wing had collapsed. However, put away your aid packages and cancel the telethons in our honour. A walk around the estate this morning has reassured me that all is well.

Seeing that the old place had not even suffered a scratch, I gave a mightily relieved sigh, even as I gazed down on the village where the fires are still burning and people are still being dug from the rubble. One only expects it, of course, with poor quality housing. No doubt I’ll be forced to raise rents again to help pay for the repairs. However, what I’m sure you’re really concerned about is that the Big House, as the locals call it, remains perfectly intact and that all is well. I’m happy to say: it does and it certainly is.

Having my mind already taken up with the matter of architecture and rebuilding, my eye was caught by this David Davies’ video that’s doing the rounds. You must have seen it. It’s where he expounds his ideas of designing out crime from high crime estates.

As I told My Man, it seems a tolerably good idea. I’ve always thought that there must be a reason why my own estate is so crime free and I imagine if one of these run down sinkhole towns were built in the style of a late Tudor stately home, with extensive early-Georgian renovation, there might be one or two fewer car-jackings in the world. David is on to a winner and I told him as much when I rang him after lunch. Sad to say, though, despite all his pragmatism, the old bruiser didn’t seem so struck with my larger plans to make tweed the new Burberry. As I told him: it seems patiently ridiculous to think of crimes being committed in herringbone.

Alas, these military types are very narrow-minded. They lose their imagination the first time they have their noses broken and, to be frank, if a suit doesn’t come in dark green with a mosquito net attachment they’re simply not interested.

I’m down in London tonight for a dinner party in aid of something or other. Might sneak in an update late P.M. but that depends on blood alcohol content.

Toodle pip.

2 comments:

m.a. said...

Have a glass or two of whatever for me. I'm tired of working. I'm thinking of marrying myself off. Know anyone in search of a unwealthy, but rather clever wife?

Best wishes.

The Spine said...

My, my, Momentary. You are sounding decidedly less then perky this evening. I think it's the pre-Christmas humours moving about in the gut and leaving us all feeling a little unsettled. I confess that despite the apparent bravado of my recent posts, the Murgatroid brow had been left deeply furrowed by one of my more grisly bad moods. I cannot get much movement on the Memoirs and feel like the world is failing to appreciate the value of a man with a clear vision for the future.

As to affairs of the heart… Alas, I know very little of the business but fear that the market value of a young woman with little wealth and many brains is much less than much wealth and few brains. Somewhat against my otherwise traditional views on most things, I cannot help but take a somewhat cynical position towards the institution of marriage. It seems not unlike the modern Christmas in that the whole business seems industrialised and singularly designed to strip a person of spirit, individuality, happiness, and a good portion of their income. However, should you not recover from this pre-festive malaise, from what little I understand of mating rites, young gentlemen these days would beat down the door of any female who takes an interest in Japanese comic books and video games. Beyond that, I could suggest you pack ammunition for grisly bear.

Now I feel that I’m falling into my agony aunt mode and it is a shame I could not have answered this problem in a more formal setting where more of my readers could have been enlightened on these matters. Alas, I also write too much.

I do hope you mood rises and you find a little of that customary zest of the Americas. Where is that frontier spirit and don’t give a damn attitude?