Tuesday, December 12, 2006

On Mrs. Priggs and The Tuba

What Ho Proles!

What a morning! I had to calm Mrs Priggs down after I found her weeping over her muesli. I’d voyaged ‘beneath stairs’ to find out what on earth was happening with my morning papers. They’d still not been brought to me to me by ten o’clock and the fireplace in the main room had yet to be made. Clearly something was amiss.

It would appear that poor Mrs. Priggs had been the victim of My Man’s rather dark sense of humour. He’d managed to persuade her that this morning’s report that experimental testing will soon begin on monkeys applied to the popular beat combo of the 1960s. Mrs. Priggs happens to be a rather keen admirer of the band and had taken the news to heart. Once I’d managed to explain that no probes will be inserted into Mssrs. Jones Dolenz Nesmith and Tork and that the story only applies to real monkeys, she settled down and set about her usual chores. Of course, I don’t know if it’s true or not. I don’t understand many of these modern musical types and probes might well be inside Mr. Dolenz even as we speak. However, I’ll have to have words with My Man about this foolishness. It gets in the way of much more important business.

Speaking of music and important business, today marked the second visit by Mr. Fink, my music teacher. He came by at two and we spent a couple of merry hours in the music room. Can I just say that I’ve taken to this tuba business like a duck to the wet stuff? Mr. Fink insists that I have a natural aptitude for the instrument on account of my inheriting the Murgatroid lungs. Though I’m something of a skinny fellow, my lungs are apparently limitless in the amount of air they can expel at any one moment. My first attempt at the instrument knocked a plant pot from off the windowsill, nearly twelve feet away.

Anyway, I’ve told My Man to look into ways of posting audio on this blog of my attempts at the tuba. I think you’ll be extremely impressed if we can get it going.

As you were.

2 comments:

m.a. said...

I can't believe that your man would torture Mrs. Priggs in such a fashion. Well, I do look forward to listening to a song or two from you and your Tuba.

The Spine said...

Ah, my dear Momentary, My Man is capable of many things few of us are capable of understanding. Unless you've wrestled wild boar in Cambodia and played Russian Roulette with a double barrel shotgun, you cannot understand the workings of his mind. It's one of reasons he's on tablets.

My Tuba lessons are coming along splendidly. It's very therapeutic too. Today I managed to get through the whole of the Moonlight Sonata before running out of puff. I'll certainly play you all a tune once I get my confidence up to play in front of an audience. You should get any requests in now and I'll run them by Dr. Fink.