Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Merry Christmas

What Ho Proles!

Ah, the Christmas holidays! What? You mean you haven’t started them. Well, bless your poor unfortunate souls. I forget that some people do not share the same amount of leisure time as we men of the country. I’m in the zone, as they say, nothing much happening and delighting in the very fact. I decided to start my holiday a couple of days ago and it’s taken me half a dozen bottles of plonk to realise that I’d not updated you as to this fact. Well, consider yourself informed and Yours Truely in a state of low readiness. I’ve given My Man the week off to go visit family and I’m locked away with the drinks, food, and a few good books. I advise you to do the same.

I hope to keep this blog bubbling away over the festive period and rest assured that if anything happens that needs more expansive reporting, I’ll sober myself up enough to give you the full details. If I go quiet for a day or so, please assume I’m to be found in a prone condition, howling at the moon, and Mrs. Priggs tutting throughout the whole business.

In the meantime, let me be the first English Tory gentleman to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a New Year full of promise.

Now, you have my permission to treat carol singers as you wish and damn all European rulings by sticking as many shillings as you wish into a turkey (dead or alive, I really don’t care).

I’m off to get festively inebriated.

Best wishes,

4 comments:

m.a. said...

Oh dear sir, I've been preparing for Christmas on this side of the pond and I've neglected your writing for a day or two. Thank goodness the Universities believe in a little time off so that I might catch up with my reading. Well, best wishes for you as well, and I hope to continue reading you in the new year!

:)

The Spine said...

My dear Momentary,

I find Christmas such a peculiar time of year. And I really don't know how I should treat this blog -- do I continue or do I disappear for a week? In the great tradition of British politicians, I've decided to avoid having to make that decision. I shall post when the spirit takes me and however the spirits leaves me.

May I also extend the warmest seasons greetings and trust you will read something suitably enlightening over the holiday. I've got myself a nice Christmas read. I've bought myself some Albert Camus and I'm hoping it will cheer me up over the break. I've never read anything by him but I understand he's full of chuckles.

Again, Merry Christmas and a jolly New Year.

JPM.

Mercurius Aulicus said...

Sir,

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Antipodes.

Yours Sincerely,
Mild Colonial Boy, Esq.

The Spine said...

Happy Christmas indeed, Mild Colonial Boy. And I hope it as sunny for you down there as it is wintery up here on the top half of the world.

Although, given that it's actually unseasonably warm here, with Russia melting even as I speak, I imagine you're enjoying a white summer, deep in snow drifts and with reindeer in their element. In which case, have a traditional Christmas, sir.

I'm off to the beach where I hope to be instructed in the art of surfing.

JPM.