Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Sound Morning

What Ho Proles!

Blast those bugles and let slip the dogs of whatnot! I can hear again!

I can’t say what a relief it is to be fully operational in the hearing department after my days of silence, but as I set to cracking my eggs this morning I couldn’t help but put a little more elbow behind my spoon, just to hear the delightful whack of silver on shell.

To be honest, I’ve had a bad few days and I was beginning to suffer mild paranoia, believing that people weren’t so much as talking about me behind my back but right there in front of me. These last few days have also taught me a thing or two about drains and I’ve already agreed to have all the old pipes dug up and replaced with something more suitable for the aftermath of Mrs. Prigg’s sponge puddings.

On the literary front, I press on with the Memoirs. The 50,000 word mark is within reach and I will be posting the next thrilling instalment either today or tomorrow. My Man has been feverishly typing it up, wiping away the odd tear since he claims it’s the most moving thing he’s read in years. I don’t like to boast, but I feel that I’m getting to the heart of matters in the latest instalment. If you wish to see why the Murgatroid 2005 election campaign faltered, then stay tuned. I’ve already agreed to send a copy to my old Eton friend, David ‘Dilly’ Cameron, lest he makes the same mistakes.

This morning, I tootled off to the village to see about the repairs they’ve been making to the houses wrecked in the storms. I must say, I think these serfish types are quite resilient. Most of the debris has been cleaned up and even in their much-feebled state, they managed to rouse themselves and give me a round of applause as I helped shift a couple of bricks. It’s a matter of being seen to do the right thing, you understand; though if I’m honest, I was really enjoying myself. After days of silence, hearing bricks strike bricks is a thing of pure beauty.

This afternoon I’m going to see about learning to play a musical instrument. I never realised how much I would miss sound and how much I value its presence in my life. I missed music most of all. Also, I’ve always harboured a secret wish to learn to play the tuba. The local music teacher is due at four and I know for certain that he is considered a master of that most delightful of instruments.

Toodle pip pip.

No comments: