Friday, October 13, 2006

Preparing for the Women's Institute

What Ho Proles!

I spent the afternoon in the library in our East Wing, completing my monograph (see the previous post, below) on my family history which I shall be delivering to the local Women’s Institute tonight. I’ll tell you more about my evening once I’ve debriefed myself, tomorrow morning. I’m reprinting the full text of the monograph for you, my dear proles, complete with a few of the saucier details I shall be omitting from the presented text.

In the future, when I’m asked why I take such pride in my family name, I might well present the following. I think it clearly demonstrates why the Murgatroid name respects much hush and considerable awe.

Tally Ho!

6 comments:

Bryan Appleyard said...

I knew a Mrs Murgatroid. Housekeeper of some kind. Yorkshire. Are you by any chance related?

The Spine said...

A Yorkshire housemaid, indeed! That would make her staff! The very thought…

Mind you, as I believe the poet Byron puts it: ‘Each maid may give a loose to genial thought, / Each swain may teach new systems, or be taught’. In other words: my Uncle Cyril’s peccadilloes certainly ran to all points of the compass. I personally blame his Viking genes, though Yorkshire does seem a bit far. He only ever owned a bicycle as far as I know.

Bryan Appleyard said...

HouseKEEPER, quite different. Cyril! There was a Cyril, though no bike. That was more the style of a vet called Edward from whom I acquired my middle name.

The Spine said...

Forgive me. My evening with the WI had left me with double vision. It was very mild concussion, you understand, unlike that suffered by My Man who has woken this morning claiming that he cannot remember a thing. In fact, he’s quite convinced he’s the last Tsar of Russia.

Alas, Mr. Appleyard, I’m beginning to fear the wisdom in your words. I’ve been looking further into the matter and there do appear to be family connections out there in the barbarous lands where Tories fear to tread.

Bryan Appleyard said...

Sorry, every cuoboard has its skeletons. I know mine has.

The Spine said...

I fear you are right, only the Murgatroid skeletons have a tendency of using smart lawyers. It's astonishing how money brings them out of the woodwork.