Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A Passing Thought

What Ho Proles!

Taking a break from the memoirs, I noticed in the papers that the old Tory pile at Smith Square has still not gone to the lowest bidder. I’d have a mind to take a chance on it myself, if only I had a spare thirty mill going spare. The place has seen some fine times and I for one never agreed to the party moving from the site of so many famous victories. The old Central Office was like a nursery to me and, when I close my eyes, I still see familiar faces on election night: people waving the Union Jack and cheering Margaret and Dennis on for another four years.

Reliving past days has brought back some bad memories, not least the fact that we lost in 2005, but, honestly... Being a Tory at this moment is a dispiriting business. It’s as though they’re trying to forget the past, which in my book, is always a dangerous thing lest somebody think we were the lentil eating party of sandal wearing beatniks.

We are the Tories and Tories we should remain. I don’t see why we be should be embarrassed by Margaret’s legacy. Don’t people remember the times we ruled the land and won more back to back victories than the Aussie cricket team? Oh, you can say that people have changed and we live in a democracy. But there are some truths that remain eternal: a man will always look smart dressed in English wool; Britannia will always rule the waves; and the Hon. J.P. Murgatroid will embrace neither tree nor prole.

Tomorrow I plan to continue with the Memoir, though I continue to wonder the wisdom of it all. I'm putting so much effort into writing this volume of reasoned political argument that I wonder if the world is interested in such dry politics,

Oh, drat it all! I'm feeling far too Liberal Democrat tonight. I'm off to to play my bagpipes on the ramparts. That usually gets me out of these moods.

Until anon.

2 comments:

m.a. said...

I thought that you might wax on a bit more about the state of politics today--particularly since America, the land that should stil lbe under your control is having an election. Here would be your chance to write a haughty poltical critque of the US and yell at the BBC for covering US electional results so closely when we don't even understand your parliamentary system and houses of lords and commons.

The Spine said...

Oh, no doubt I will put down my thoughts about the colonies at some point, though I do hate the personality politics going on over there. As you know, I'm a rather shy type of fellow, who prefers to let his policies speak for him. Today I'd like My Man to finish typing up one more section of my memoirs. I'd like to get the demon child out of the way.